Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Poor Old Sunny Day Firetheft Estate

I have a confession to make. Much to my pseudo-hipster embarrassment, I didn't know who Jeremy Enigk was until I heard people talking about his upcoming concert at the 930.

As I began to research his material, I was amazed by not only how much I enjoyed Enigk's music, but how much I had actually heard before.

Enigk is most famous for being the lead singer of Sunny Day Real Estate (1993-2000). Growing up an aspiring emo/scene kid, I had heard SDRE name-dropped often enough, but it wasn't until my sophomore year in college that I finally heard them when I bought Diaries. I purchased it without having listened to a single song, trusting solely the advice and music taste of Peter Sieg- and I'm glad I did.

Enigk also scored the soundtrack to The United States of Leland, a movie that I thoroughly enjoyed and that, in retrospect, had a great soundtrack.

Recently, Enigk has appeared on songs by the Almost, (Dirty And Left Out), and mewithoutYou, (The Dryness and the Rain; O, Porcupine).

Less known, but just as good, are the bands Poor Old Lu and The Fire Theft, both of which featured Enigk for a while.

Basically, I already love everything this guy has ever done. I just didn't know it.

No comments: