Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pop Culture

I have now joined the ranks of fixed-gear hipsterdome. It took almost four months of layaway payments, but I am finally riding my brand new Raleigh Rush Hour, which I have affectionately named "Jackie" (after two of my heroes, Jackie Chan and Jackie Kennedy).
Another recent acquisition of mine is the new Sigur Ros album, "með suð í eyrum við spilumendalaust". In this album, the Icelandic post-rock collective explores new sonic soundscapes while maintaining the ethereal, other-worldly atmosphere that made them an international sensation. My personal favorite track is "Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur", which ends with a full symphonic build which I think is best described as angelic. While the album departs stylistically from their earlier work, I have no doubt that fans of "Takk" and "( )" will embrace this new direction.

No comments: