Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Winter Reading List: Christmas Eve Edition


Last night, after getting home to Heber-Overgaard, I curled up in my bedroom and started Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck as the snow was lightly falling outside. I didn't stop reading until I finished it two hours later.

Admittedly, I have been on a Steinbeck kick this break. It seems that it is impossible for this guy to write anything I don't like and this book is no exception.

It falls into emotionalism at times, but overall it is a gripping novella that explores such transcendent concepts as the importance of human relationships and man's inability to live without purpose. In that sense it reminded me of a beautiful Asian film I recently watched called Chungking Express, which explores similar themes, only in Hong Kong in the early nineties.

I find it interesting that writer John Steinbeck and director Kar Wai Wong, separated by more than half a century and on opposite ends of the earth, felt the same need and were inspired to create such beautiful art.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I admire your desire for reading, nice blog.