Saturday, June 05, 2010

Daedalus and Honey Nut Chex

Istanbul is an amazing city where you can get practically anything... with the exception of my beloved breakfast-cereal Honey Nut Chex. To make matter worse, all of the breakfast cereals available here (Corn Flakes, Cocoa Puffs) are glutenous. As a result the food group that used to represent the majority of my diet has simply disappeared, leaving a gaping whole in the areas of expedient breakfast and late night snack.

Needless to say, I was incredibly thankful that my friend Julie was kind enough to find room for a few boxes in her suitcase during a recent visit to the good ole U.S. of A, as after seven weeks without breakfast cereal I was starting to go through withdrawals.

However, yesterday morning when I opened up the box expecting to have some delicious breakfast I discovered that I'm not the only one who loves Chex in Istanbul.
Yep. Those black pixilated specks are ants, who with the ingenuity of Daedalus managed to weave their way inside my carefully sealed bag.

It's a good thing that ants float in milk.

1 comment:

JessicaF said...

Oh, I had forgotten about the days of extra protein in cereal. :) Totally worth it, though, when you just HAVE to have it....and I don't know about you, but I had to deal with that awful boxed milk on top of the extra protein, so you know I was in dire straits to put up with a double doozy!! :)