Saturday, June 19, 2010

Outings: #2

For as long as I can remember the beach has been my nemesis. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy enough popular seaside activities to write a pretty decent e-harmony ad, but for my entire life no amount of SPF has proved sufficient to keep me from turning crimson by the end of the day.

Well yesterday when we visited Şile on our second summer outing I was resolved to bury the hatchet and try to make amends with with my old foe. Unfortunately the proverbial burning coals were heaped upon my head (and back, chest, legs, and tops of feet) as I am now the most sunburnt I have been in my life (and yes Mom, I put on sunblock... a lot of it).

Well even though almost every exposed skin cell is now crying out to me in pain, I can confidently say it was worth it. The beach was incredible. I love the Black Sea and being tossed about by its waves. I even love basking in the Anatolian sun. And I especially love how the beach imports new significance to activities I already loved, whether it be conversing with friends, playing frisbee and tavla, or reading a good book.

Pictures coming soon.

No comments: