Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Week in Review

Awesome things that have happened this week:

Hung out with my brother Paul in Sultanahmet. Had probably the coolest meal I've ever had, which literally involved setting food on fire and breaking pots with hammers. I'll get to show him the rest of the city after he returns from traveling the Turkish countryside.

Passed my final exam for level 1 Turkish. Level two starts Tuesday!

Visited the Istanbul Museum of Modern Art with several friends. I especially liked an installation piece by Serkan Özkaya and after researching him discovered he has a particular connection with my beloved city of Louisville (Proof on Main has featured Özkaya's work and he hand-illustrated an actual Courier-Journal issue).

Encountered 40+ zombies in Taksim Square dancing to Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Intended to visit Boğazaçi Üniversitesi's Sport's Fest, but was thwarted by the weather. Thankfully, Iron Man 2 was an apt contingency plan. I thought it was a great sequel, just as charming and entertaining as the first with very little plot to get in the way of explosions and one-liners.

No comments: