Monday, December 28, 2009

Hometown Homiletic

When Jesus returned to his hometown to teach in the synagogue, they tried to throw him over a cliff after his message. Well I got to preach at my parents church this morning, and thankfully no one tried to toss me over the Mogollon Rim.

Preaching is something that I am still quite inexperienced in, and I was thankful to get a lot of constructive feedback from my brothers. Illustrations and application are challenging for me, and I still feel overly dependent on my manuscript, but I absolutely love digging into the Bible. Few things are as exciting to me as tracing theological themes and investigating how the New Testament writers use and develop the Old Testament. Preparing a sermon allows me to investigate the text much more extensively than I typically do in my personal devotions.

The more I learn about the Bible, the more I realize I don't know, which is both humbling and encouraging. It's humbling, because there are so many areas where I still need to grow. It's encouraging because I know there will always be something more to investigate.

1 comment:

J.M. Donovan said...

"Few things are as exciting to me as tracing theological themes and investigating how the New Testament writers use and develop the Old Testament."

yes sir. :)